13 January 2011

If you REALLY knew me...

I have to apologize for the fact that this is the first post of 2011! Between getting back into the swing of school, snow, and server issues, it's taken almost 2 weeks for me to post!

So to catch up a bit:

Here are a variety of Inspiration Prompts we've been working on:
-Memory

-Trace your hands

-"Not all who wander are lost." -JRR Tolkien

-Write something in another language

-If you really knew me...
   (we here at RV have a strong connection to this. we have been part of Challenge Day for several years [visit ChallengeDay.org for more info] and last year, we were on MTV's "If You Really Knew Me..." I know that the times I participated in these days I was moved more than I could possibly have imagined. It was cathartic, emotional, and very very revealing to see myself, and my community in such an open and touching way. It's pretty incredible. And the feeling that lingers afterwards is so warm and fuzzy. Sometimes 'warm' and 'fuzzy' are things that are avoided in public schools, but sometimes it's just what you need. We are a collective of PEOPLE with personalities, problems, and prejudices. Seeing each other outside of roles like 'Teacher' and 'Student' was really interesting. So anyways, this prompt brings up a great deal to most students in this district.)


Other things that we have been working on:

Stamping to create texture: using linoleum blocks, erasers, found objects and other items to create layers of textures on our pages.

Stitching: we've used glue, matte medium, mod podge, and gesso as a glue for collaged parts of our pages, but now we're testing out sewing to a.) create designs-words-patterns, and b.) attach our collage items to the pages and c.) as a way to emphasize objects

No comments:

Post a Comment